5 Tips to Maintain Your Relationship While Planning Your Wedding
We all know that planning a wedding can be a stressful phase for couples, especially when both families are involved. Since we specialize in multicultural weddings, we see the impact that planning a wedding has on everyone involved, both positive and negative aspects. However, this stress can be alleviated by incorporating the following:
1. Make sure everyone is on the same page: The biggest mistake you can make while planning your wedding is to not inform those involved in what’s going on. Whenever I have couples who come from 2 different religions and will be having 2 different ceremonies, I sit down with each family individually, hear their needs and run through what needs to be done. We then have both parties come together to discuss everything. This way, no one is surprised and everyone is equally informed. This also helps in bringing both families closer together as they all feel united.
2. Compromise: Choose your battles. Yes, this is your day, and it should be exactly how you want it to be, but sometimes you’ll need to compromise, and there is nothing wrong with this at all. We have to compromise in places such as work and school, so try applying it to your planning process, and you’ll see how less stressful things will be!
3. Take time for yourself: It’s important to have ME time along the way. Make sure you take some time to reflect on your wants, even if it’s something as simple as reading a book. This will ensure you stay sane!
4. Take time as a couple: This step is very important. Throughout the planning process, life gets busy and we tend to forget about the simple little things we used to do before. Once a week, take a break from all the planning and catch a movie or go for dinner. Don’t discuss anything wedding related. Just be you :).
5. Don’t read into anything: Throughout the process, you may find people express views they normally wouldn’t. Don’t look into any of this, especially the month before your wedding. This is the time where everyone is on the edge awaiting the day, and they want everything to go perfect. Attitudes and behaviors are likely to change now, but again, nothing wrong with this. The adrenaline is flowing as you get closer to the day. Once the wedding is actually here, everyone will be able to relax and enjoy the day.
With that being said, try to enjoy the process as much as possible! As a wedding planner, we have had to play the role of being that neutral person that comes in to ensure everything goes smoothly. That’s one of the best reasons to hire a wedding planner. Not only do we relieve the stress on the day of, we relieve that stress throughout the entire process ensuring everyone is on the same page, and if there are any issues, we’ll help guide you through them so that you don’t have to worry about reading into anything!
Happy Planning 🙂